Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wanted: Suitcase Full of Money, Air Conditioned Living Quarters

My time has been consumed lately with Things That Must Be Done.  I'm finding that navigating the different phases of going back to school is, by itself, a major undertaking.  Getting accepted is just the beginning.  I've never pursued beyond acceptance. 

The whole application process reminds me a bit of high school courtship.  You see all the attractive programs out there, and the opportunities seem endless.  You slowly narrow down the pool and focus your resources: one gimme, a few competitive candidates, and your dream program (and then there's that one really sexy, kinda dangerous option that you can't get out of your head, even after she's spurned you).  You ask these select few out on a date, using the opportunity to extol your many desireable qualities and learning as much as you can about what they have on offer.  They look you over, and you just keep your fingers crossed that your goods are good enough to get to "yes".  You walk that line of knowing when to keep talking and when to shut up.  You ask yourself, "How do I express continued interest without wearing on nerves," known by its more common rendering, "When is it too early to call again?" Suddenly you find yourself four or five dates into it with The Dream and she's liking the cut of your jib, and you're pretty sure you're reading the right signs.  You walk her to the door and lean in for that first kiss and she gives you the greenlight. And it's all fireworks and butterflies and hockey sirens. 

Now what?  You've worked so hard just to get here and now you realize how little study you've given to the chapter on After Yes.  The point of all of this is that I'm in uncharted waters here.  All of the application process, the GMAT debacle, the vomitous essays, two years of math courses at the community college, the nerves, all of it was just the work you have to do to get to a decision that says "Yes, you can come study here."  Now that the easy part is done, it's time to start the Phase II work of arranging the details (financing, housing, moving, etc.) of how to make it happen.  I'm wrestling with Thunderbird's bra strap, which, just like a real bra strap,  can be a bit daunting when you've never been closer than a billboard and you're working blind. 

So I've heard.

That's the long way of saying "I'm sorry for neglecting this space."  I hope to do better than 2-3 posts a month going forward, but who knows.  It all depends on how quickly I can get these details worked out.  Wish me luck.
      

1 comment:

  1. You're about to experience a disconcertingly rapid transformation from this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lme5M_z1n_s

    to this:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y

    ReplyDelete

I find the puniness of your thoughts entertaining. Leave them here.