Dutch Bike Dutch has become an annual event, started by a couple of aggressively charitable and considerate young ladies to raise some walking-around money for orphans somewhere. I'm glad I got to contribute for some pinatas and Jarritos for the childrenz, but if I'm being honest, I didn't really pay attention to exactly what the funds were for. Call me passively charitable. It was a good cause, I'm sure. Anyway, DC is only about a two hour drive from Lancaster County, PA, home to Dutch Amish country. It's beautiful farm land with rolling hills, so it makes for some good cycling. As a result, in the spring, carloads of DC Mormon singles haul their bikes up to Pennsylvania to do rides varying in distance from 15 miles to 50 miles.
I chose to go for the 30-mile ride. Never mind that I hadn't been on a bike since I was 14. I was fit as a fiddle and ready to rock. Or to fiddle if needs be. So I rented a high-priced carbon fiber road bike to really allow me to fly. But to simply ride a bike would be too mundane. The occasion demanded more spice, more verve. So I decided to make my thrilling return to cycling in heroic fashion. As a luchadore.

I thought there was a chance that others would be making the ride in costumes of some sort as well. I mean, who wouldn't want to raise some Amish pulses with a bit of bravado? I was wrong. So very wrong. The closest anyone came was Colton in his $2 Incredible Hulk riding jersey. Ugliest shirt ever, but I applaud the showmanship. And he one-upped me by doing the 50-miler. Two claps for you and the chef lady, Colton.

Anyway, the video will fill in the visual blanks for you. How was it riding 30 miles after a 16-year absence from the sport? Pros and cons both, I'd say. The biggest con was those padded biking shorts. Mercy me, I felt like I was walking around with a maxi pad attached to my gooch with rubber cement. Extremely uncomfortable for a man. Not in a wedgie way, but in a turn-and-cough way. Another con, when I attempted to dismount my bike after 30 miles, I had the spaghetti legs real bad. I almost had to fall over sideways so I could roll away from it, because I didn't have the strength to lift my leg over the bar. Pros, you really do feel like you're flying sometimes. When you crest a hill and hit the downslope and drop the gear, the road slips away beneath you as your cape flaps in the wind. It's quite a rush. It builds hella leg strength in your quads. Boy howdy. And it's a peaceful way to take in the countryside and get some exercise while doing it. I will have to be sure to beg onto the invite list for next year.
And now, a short film (footage compliments of V Slice. Edited by yours truly.)
Travis, that is completely fantastic! your world view entertains me like no other! and the mask is truly awesome.
ReplyDeleteUmmm........I like the costume because then nobody would really know it was you. Good Choice! But I have to wonder. Why didn't you just pay the money and go for a nice drive along the route, stopping in at Amish shops along the way and eating homemade bread and cheese? Or picking up on Amish girls...since riding your bike in a cape and mask made picking up chicks a little difficult.
ReplyDeleteWhy be one of a million forgettable tourists getting leached for $6 for a loaf of bread when you can be one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse they've read about their whole lives? They'll not soon forget what they witnessed that day.
ReplyDeleteDamn, Travis. I hadn't realized it before, but you've turned into a hell of a writer. Seriously. When did that happen?
ReplyDeleteKeep it up, man.
It all started with the that "Academic Legal Writing" book you bought me for Christmas a few years ago when I still harbored enough self-loathing to consider law school.
ReplyDeleteGood job Travis, I can barely drive thirty miles nowadays.
ReplyDelete