Monday, November 30, 2009

"Deserves" Has Nothing To Do With It

This weekend was the annual rivalry game between the University of Utah Utes and the Cougars of Brigham Young Academy University.  It's a familiar story, replayed in nearly every rivalry in sports:  Team X hates Team Y and vice versa, and fans of both hope their team stomps the other into dust so they can gain some feeling of superiority-by-proxy through their team's victory.  Of course, parties to the Utah-BYU version of the story feel that there is something extra special about their rivalry.  In the local Utah press, it is called The Holy War, as if the very tenets of Provo's Candyland Mormonism are under assault by the mixed-faith gentile forces from Salt Lake. 

Both of my parents and two siblings attended BYU, so I was a Cougar fan from afar growing up.  When I enrolled at Utah after my return from Russia, I became a Ute, but didn't really get into the rivalry in my first year.  I liked them both.

Nothing like a year's worth of up-close exposure to their program to cure that.

It wasn't so much their fans in Utah that pushed me over.  Most of the trash talk you hear is the same crap you'll hear in any rivalry.  I'm not one of those who believes their fans should be held to a higher level of decorum because they root for God's school.  They're just as prone to human passion as I am.  Besides, good-natured trash talk is half the fun of it.  No, it was their players that killed any affection for their program.  The more I had to listen to jagoffs like Reno Mahe run their mouths to the press about how they get no respect for their 12-0 season, the more joy I experienced when a middling Louisville team mopped the floor with them in their bowl game that year.  It was the crybaby, entitlement arrogance from those teams earlier in this decade that transformed me from a Holy War agnostic to a war-painted Ute.

This year's game was an overtime nail-biter.  It didn't turn out the way I would have liked, and to be stuck watching in a venue where we Utes were outnumbered made it all the more difficult to swallow.  I about ground my teeth to dust watching them all stand up and sing their stupid fight song (who writes fake growling into their fight song?!). But it was amicable afterward.  I laughed and continued my trash talk, congratulating the Cougar fans and telling them all to get bent.  They called me a bitter poor-sport; I told them I've got their sportsmanship right here in my jock.  Haha.  Fun and games.

Then Sunday morning I read what BYU quarterback Max Hall had to say.  No haha from Maxie.  He decided to go scorched-earth at the post-game press conference, sparing nobody.  Here's a more-or-less complete collage of his mouthing off, so you can get an idea of the breathtaking arrogance of this kid:

"I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them — I hate everything about them.  I hate their program. I hate their fans. I hate everything. So, it felt good to send those guys home. They didn't deserve it. It was our time, and it was our time to win. We deserved it. We played as hard as we could tonight, and it felt really good to send them home and to get them out of here, so it is a game I'll always remember."

When pressed about why, he continued:

"I think the whole university and their fans and organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year and did a whole bunch of nasty things. I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose."

Not one to limit his goodwill remarks to his vanquished foe, he was next questioned about his poor performance in last year's game, which gave him the opportunity to micturate all over his own fans:

"People can say whatever they want to say, but until you're on the field and in that position, you have no room to talk or say whatever.  So, I really am thankful for our loyal fans and the people who stuck with us and with me and who continue to be positive with us and with me and say good things. And for the fans who sit behind screen names on the internet and say bad things about you aren't true fans, and it felt really good tonight to get a win in front of the good fans."

Hear that, BYU fans?  Until you've thrown 5 interceptions and fumbled twice (in one game!!), you don't deserve to criticize me!  I am above your thoughts on good quarterbacking.  So if you criticize me, you are not TRUE Cougars.  I only play for GOOD fans.  If you want be be a LOYAL fan, you'll only say positive things about me so I can continue to feel good about myself.  I'm talking to you, CougarBlu4Life.

If there's a way to win the battle while losing the war, Max just found it.

I really don't care about him saying he hates Utah's program and fans and the university in general.  Whatever.  It's a rivalry.  And despite the press release apology that the P.R. department wrote on his behalf, I accept that Max Hall still hates me.  I think his comments were as raw and unfiltered as they could be, and that he really does feel that way.  And I don't care.  Fuel for the tank keeps my motor running.  What really gets me is the "deserves" part of his comments.  BYU played their hardest, therefore, they deserve to win.  By extension, Utah must not have played their hardest, and therefore did not deserve to win. 

Really Max?  Because I always thought that the quarterback who goes 12-of-32 for 134 yards was the one who deserves to lose.  You turned in a dogs*#t performance and then walked into the press conference and threw up all over your opponent and your own fans.  I'd say that you deserved to lose, and you won DESPITE your on-field performance.  But deserves has nothing to do with it.  The sad part is, BYU fans have loved you because of all the monster numbers you've put up against the bottom feeders of the MWC.  It is you who has betrayed them by regularly wetting the bed in every big game you've played in.  You are a choke artist.  That is your M.O.  That, and now poor sportsmanship.  Lucky for you I've still got plenty of that left in my jock for you.  But since you seem to be better at performing with your mouth than with your arm, you'll have to come get it on your knees.



6 comments:

  1. I knew I followed you for a reason. I had not heard Hall's presser after the game, I was too busy being pissed that the Utes could only muster a field goal in OT. That fact overshadowed the elation I was feeling by the way they played to even get to OT in that game. Utes had more yards in penalties than rushing. Sad.
    Hall will probably never get to the point where he will have a professional 'handler' or PR staff that informs him of what he can or can't say. Probably better that he learns how to filter his thoughts in fast and testimony meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the post!! Sadly our whole society is a "deserves" society. We deserve jack sh*t. If not instead of only on Thanksgiving, every day I would get a banana cream pie ("because I deserve it!!). But instead I'll go home to my porcelain throne that carries in its bowels the only thing I deserve. But humungus deserves a banana cream pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. having attended BYU for nine-sih years now, i have to say that my exposure to the blue fans makes me want to puke. i'm a contrarian by nature, but seriously, it makes me sick to hear the stupid things that BYU fans say about thier team. i look better in red anyway.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm still trying to put my finger on what it is about BYU that drives me bonkers. i think it is the attitude of conformity that bothers me the most. there is this pervasive idea that there is only one way to be right, and BYU has it patented. and instead of celebrating differences, the natural reaction of the dyed-blue-in-the-wool BYU-type is to look askance on the non-conformers, with a disdain so obvious you can cut it with a knife. with 90% of BYU being white, i also feel that there are racial undertones. being a brown mexican, no matter how much i conform, i will never fit the mold. living in utah county for these last 8 years, i always get asked where i'm from. and people mean, where my PEOPLE are from, because as soon as i say 'pleasant grove,' not two miliseconds go by before,'no, where are your PARENTS from' pops outta their mouths. the funny thing sbout the uber-mormons is that they miss that their superior attitudes bleeding blue all over the place is actually the biggest deterrant to getting people to join the church. i know, i'm rambling at this point and mixing my criticism of uber mormons and BYUians, but really, most are one and the same. funny thing, i also root for the dallas cowboys, and i also cant stand most cowbay fans. in fact, apart from my family, i've RARELY met a BYU or cowboys fan i didn't instantly dislike. hi, i'm jason, i root for the cowboys and cougars, but the hate all the fans. nice. maybe i'm the idiot. sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brown rage is beautiful, Jason. I wish I could bottle it and keep it in my food storage. I'd use it in the apocalypse on my sandwiches in place of deli-style mustard.

    In my experience, F & T meetings neither the time nor the place for learning to filter your thoughts. Oh, the tales I could tell from some experiences here. Adds flavor, though.

    As would that banana cream pie. You're right, Brad, I do deserve one. See what you can do about getting it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Mr. Acosta,

    I did not find your comment "rambling" in the slightest, though I must admit that I feel myself to be the anti-you: a Ute fan and an ardent Redskins fan (even this year). The prototypical BYU "Mo" is blissfully unaware of his or her completely severed ties with reality. Your larger comparison to the sheltered Mormon culture was not remotely out of place.

    Humungus, nice post.

    ReplyDelete

I find the puniness of your thoughts entertaining. Leave them here.