Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Job Hunt: A Summary So Far


I've always hated searching for jobs. It's the total power disparity between the employer and the applicant that gets me irritated. HR managers write totally narrow, impossible job descriptions and then bitch to the WSJ that there is just a total lack of  qualified candidates out there. They are apparently all looking for that one kid who graduated college in molecular physics at 15, went on to design the first all-electric car battery, spent two years in Budapest as a concert pianist, speaks five languages, and founded seven charities, all before he could legally drink alcohol. Oh, and they want him to not be a total smug asshole. Only a person with such impeccable credentials could possibly be trained to manage our fine selection of Colombian and Brazilian roast coffees.

So you dress your resume and cover letter up to make it look like you're something resembling that non-asshole, only to have some robot set fire to your lovingly crafted documents before any human lays eyes on them because you didn't combine key words in the right sequence.

Everything about making the career change from government affairs to business has gone pretty swimmingly up to this point. I guess this is just a new part of the game I'm having to learn, mostly on my own. I'm experiencing a fair bit of frustration and burnout right now. I know the positions are out there. Just a matter of getting myself in front of actual people who can make actual decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I find the puniness of your thoughts entertaining. Leave them here.