
5 years. 5 glorious years.
That’s how long it had been since I’d seen a dentist. Having been without dental insurance, the thought of having to pay a few hundred bucks out of pocket for some brute with a hydraulic toothbrush to clean my teeth seemed preposterous. My last visit was out of necessity caused by a clingy caramel that ripped an old filling from my molar about a year after graduation. I shelled out for the repair and a cleaning, but it was a good friend who did the work, so I felt better paying him than a stranger.
Circumstances have changed since I left college. I’ve had dental insurance for the last 3 years. I’ve been told by co-workers that it’s pretty good dental insurance. I nonetheless have avoided using it, because my teeth feel pretty good and I have been judicious in my stewardship over them. This spring I made the mistake of sharing that tidbit with a dental student, who predictably expressed his horror at my negligence. He did his best nagging mother routine, and by the time the conversation was over, I had resolved to get my tusks looked at just to be safe. I only have one set of teeth, right?
After my initial exam, it turns out I’m right about my teeth and gums being healthy, but many of my old silver cavities need replacement, including one that will require a crown. And since my dental insurance only covers half the cost of non-silver fillings, I am going to have to foot a large portion of this Mouth Renovation Project, which got underway this past Monday morning at
So it’s my first day back from vacation and I’m paying my dentist $400 to drill on my teeth/gums for 3 hours straight. I’m pretty sure the gums part was an accident, but seeing as how I had enough Novocain in my face to numb a rhino, I had no idea it was happening. This was not the average drilling expedition I was accustomed to as a teenager. I should have known it was about to get messy when the technician handed me a pair of goggles at the start and told me to put them on for my protection. I thought he was joking. By the end of the session, the goggles were covered with silver and porcelain and tooth and spittle and who knows what else. I was informed that the crown they had placed on my back molar was only a temporary while the permanent tooth was molded, and that I should avoid eating solid foods until I came back to get the permanent attached next week. The early morning drilling was just the beginning of my bad mouth day.
Because of the 3-hour drill-a-thon, I was an hour late to work. For lunch, I found a place that serves soup and got a large bowl of chicken gumbo. I luvz the gumbo, so I was happy. Until I took the first spoonful and realized I couldn’t taste it because at
Something to be greatful for .... that it was only going to the dentist and not the proctologist! The trauma was at least centered around one of the more comfortable orfices. But at least the tin man got his!
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of the combo dentist/proctologist office. That would be too much to take at once. Especially if she went from the proctology exam right into the dental exam without changing gloves. Then the Tin Man's salad would be the least of my worries.
ReplyDeleteThat's the most erotic thing I've ever heard.
ReplyDelete$400 for a crown? I think it would be cheaper for me to fly to DC and see your dentist rather than go to mine...
ReplyDeleteNo, $400 was my portion. My so-called good dental insurance is paying for the rest.
ReplyDelete